The core purpose of the Business Development Unit is to facilitate partnership and commercial delivery of UG’s products and services. The Unit will be proactive and responsive in establishing excellent relationships with UG staff, collaborators and partners in the commercial delivery of a suite of UG’s expertise to serve the needs of its customer. We are committed to supporting the strategic principles of the University in promoting quality of both campuses and the physical learning environment.
Job Summary: Working closely with the Director, Strategic Initiative, The Business Development Manager will be responsible for identifying, developing, and managing commercial opportunities for the University in the fields of rental programme, events planning, merchandising and other relevant areas. The position will also play a key role in raising the level of commercial awareness and skills across the University.
JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include any and/or all of the following:
- Identify, analyse and complete business deals with external organisations that result in profitable and sustainable revenue flows to the University.
- Identify, analyse and create commercial product opportunities working with staff from research, teaching and other activities of the University.
- Identify and create external commercial opportunities and partnerships that use, expand and develop the capabilities and facilities of the University.
- Develop, present and implement strategies and business plans, including spin off ventures, for the effective commercial exploitation of UG’s Intellectual Property, technology and services.
- Identify, develop and maintain business relationships, and act as the single point of contact with external organisations. This includes the effective marketing of the University and its expertise, service and products to ensure University of Guyana is positioned as a preferred partner for external organisations when they are looking to source the products and services of higher education.
- Mentor and coach staff to achieve successful business outcomes and identify and analyse the capabilities of UG staff to create new Enterprises that commercialise the capabilities and facilities of the University in a novel way.
- Manages the development of business plans and contracts, provides daily management of programs, practices, and contract services; advises and assists with financial preparation for external agreements and leases; performs strategic analysis of business plan tactical implementation and integration with marketing plan; assesses services to determine customer needs.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- A flair for creativity in supporting the development and changes that occur within the University.
- Close liaison with key managers and service partners within the University is essential.
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills, combined with an ability to self -start and to work independently and with others.
- Experience in the structures, systems and policies underpinning the development and delivery of commercial products and services, including launching new products and developing intellectual property through to commercial exploitation.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, conceptualize and develop business and commercial opportunities resulting in profitable revenue streams.
- Demonstrated understanding of the research environment, and the ability to transform research outcomes into commercial applications.
- Well - developed oral communication, negotiation and relationship management skills; including the ability to liaise with colleagues and with academic staff at all levels, and to present a professional image on behalf of the University in sensitive and commercial discussions.
- Demonstrated written communication skills; in particular, writing business plans to support business and commercial opportunities including skills in the financial and legal aspects of business deals.
- A university degree and experience in commerce / business development; or an equivalent combination of relevant knowledge, training and/ or extensive experience
- Desirable: A second degree or qualification in a relevant subject and experience of business development in the context of higher education.
SALARY SCALE: UA 4: 276,424 - $359,829
Placement on Salary Scale would be dependent on level of qualification and relevant experience.
Benefits currently include non-taxable housing and travelling allowances, contributory medical and pension schemes; gratuity and entertainment allowance (where applicable), annual/vacation/study/sabbatical leave (whichever is applicable); leave passage and Academic Materials allowance.
Applications with Curriculum Vitae, stating full name, date of birth, marital status, qualifications (with dates and overall grades obtained), work experience (with dates), full names and addresses of three (3) referees, who can testify to the academic/professional capabilities of the applicant (one of whom must be your present or last employer, where applicable), must reach the Personnel Division, University of Guyana, P.O. Box 10-1110, Georgetown, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than July 7, 2017 (Tel. Nos. 592-222-4181/5271), Website: www.uog.edu.gy