Welcome to the Berbice Campus Library
The University of Guyana Berbice Campus Library (UGBCL) is a Branch of the main University Library at Turkeyen. The Berbice Campus Library (BCL) is headed by a Deputy University Librarian, who reports to the University Librarian at Turkeyen.
One of our main objectives is to support the instructional, information and research needs of the academic community. BCL therefore aims to provide a variety of resources, which support and extend the teaching and research programmes of the University of Guyana. It is hoped that the extramural function of the library will develop as the library progresses.
If the book is part of the library's collection but out on loan then patrons can place a hold online on the Koha Database or visit the Circulation Desk. Conditions of services:
- The reservation process is a first come first serve basis and students have to wait their turn.
- A 48 hrs. book will be reserved for borrower up to 10:00 hrs. on the day after it is due.
- One (1) week book will be reserved for borrower for 48hrs after it is due.
Patrons are asked to keep checking online to ascertain the availability of the book in order to uplift same.
KOHA DATABASE: Patrons can browse the library’s catalogue online, check if a book is available, reserve books, preview a book, check how many books you have outstanding and many more features to make your library experience easier. Web: UGBC Library
This database the University of Guyana subscribes to. Students and staff members can access this for free.
JSTOR: Collection of academic journals and textbooks in all subject areas.
HINARI: Collection of books and journals on biomedical and health literature.
AGORA: Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture
OARE: Access to Research in the Environment
The BCL conducts in-house orientation and tours for all university students and staff members. Orientations sessions for new students are usually conducted at the beginning of the academic year. In these sessions students are informed of the library’s services, how to use the library and getting access to the library resources.
- Can only be renewed once.
- Can only be renewed if not reserved by another user.
- Can only be renewed on the day it is due, not before or after.
- A 48 hrs. book cannot be renewed
The Library can obtain materials not in its collection from overseas or local sources for patrons. To request same visit the Circulation Desk.
Persons who are not University students or staff member are consider visitors to the library and can be granted access to the library resources. All visitors are required to present a form of identification at the Information desk to gain access to the library and obtain a visitors permission pass.
Borrowing privileges can also be granted to visitors once the requirements are met. Requirements include a non-refundable cautionary deposit and passport photographs.
The library conducts Information Literacy sessions for new students at the beginning of the academic year and also during the academic year in conjunction with faculties.
Reader's Services Division
The readers’ services division is divided into 3 main sections:
- Education & Humanities and Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Services department
Education & Humanities and Social Sciences
This section consists of books and other materials on Religion, Creative Arts, Criminology, Economics, Education, History, Languages, Law, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Politics, Local Government, Management, Sociology, Banking & Finance Commerce, reference (Atlas, dictionary and other books/ materials.)
This section consists of books on Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Cookery, Health Sciences, Mathematics, Medicine, Physics, Technology and Library Science.
In the natural sciences section one can also find:
- The leisure corner – books include famous authors such as Danielle Steel, Nora Roberts, David Baldacci, Stephen King, Sandra Brown, Tom Clancy and many popular Harlequins authors among others.
- New Additions
- Academic Staff Research Papers/Thesis
- Magazine Display
The services department is the mobile friendly area and serves the following:
- Request for general information
- Registration of new and continuing students, staff and visitors.
- Clearance of all departing students and staff members
- Equipment Loans and Miscellaneous Loans
- Reserved Collection (special materials requested by faculties, books in high demand and of limited copies.)
- Online Database Access
- Caribbean Collection
- Students Final Year Research Papers
- A Mini Map Section
- Returning and borrowing of library materials
- Financial transactions
- Printing services
University of Guyana
- University of Guyana, Turkeyen Campus