The University of Guyana Council
In general, the Council shall be the governing body of the University and shall exercise all the powers described under 'Powers of the Council'.
Powers of the Council - Statute 12
Subject to the Act and these statues, the Council shall be the governing body of the University and shall exercise all the powers thereof. Without prejudice to the generality of its powers, the Council shall, in particular, exercise the following powers:
- To make the appointments authorised by the Statutes with the consent of the academic Board to institute, confirm, abolish of hold in abeyance any Professorship, Associate professorship or other academic office in the university.
- To confer after report from the Academic Board the title of Emeritus professor or Honorary Professor, Honorary Associate Professor or Fellow
- To govern, manage and regulate the finances, accounts, investments, property, business and all affairs whatsoever of the University and for that purpose and for that purpose to appoint bankers and any other officers or agents whom it may deem expedient to appoint;
- To invest any monies belonging to the University including any unapplied income, in such stocks, funds, fully paid shares or securities as the Councils may form time to time thinks fit, whether authorized by the general law for the investment of trust monies or not, or in the purchase of property whether authorized by the general law for the investment of trust monies or not, or in the purchase of property whether movable or immovable, with the like power of varying such investments from time by scale or re-investment or otherwise: Provided that the Council may in its discretion retain as long as it shall think fit any Investment given or bequeathed to the University although not falling within the description of investments authorised as a foresaid;
- To sell, buy, exchange, lease, grant or take on lease movable and immovable property on behalf of the University;
- To borrow money on behalf of the University, and for that purpose (if the Council thinks fit) to mortgage or charge all or part of the property of the University whether movable or immovable, unless the conditions of any will deed or gift or other similar instrument are thereby contravened, and to give such other security whether upon movable or immovable property or otherwise as the Council thinks fit;
- To receive from Academic Board estimates of expenditure required to carry out the work of the University and to seek to provide the requisite money in so far as the estimates are approved by the Council;
- To provide for the welfare of all persons in the employment of the University, and the spouses and dependents of such persons, including the payment of money, pensions or other payments, and to subscribe to benevolent and other funds for the benefit of such persons;
- To enter into, vary, carry out and terminate contracts on behalf of the University;
- To select a Seal, Arms and Mace for the University and to have the sole custody and use of the Seal;
- To promote and to make provision for research within the University;
- To determine the terms and conditions of service upon which Examiners and Visiting assessors shall be appointed by the Academic Board;
- To take into consideration and, if the Council deems it proper to do so, give effect to reports from the Academic Board on those matters upon which the academic board is authorised or required by the Statutes to make report;
- To award Honorary Degrees on the proposal of the Academic Board;
- To dismiss any member of the staff other University pursuant to the procedure hereinafter prescribed.