The Guyana Prize for Literature was established in 1987 to provide encouragement for the development of good creative writing among Guyanese in particular and Caribbean writers in general.
About the 2012 Award
- provide a focus for the recognition of the creative writing of Guyanese at home and abroad;
- stimulate interest in and provide encouragement for the development of good creative writing;
Among Guyanese in particular and Caribbean writers in general.
The competition is for works in the following four categories:
- Poetry - a collection of poems or one long poem by a single author.
- Fiction - a novel or collection of short stories by a single author.
- Drama - a full length play.
- First book in categories [a] and [b] above.
- Poetry - US $5,000.00
- Fiction - US $5,000.00
- Drama - US $5,000.00
- First Books - US $3,000.00 (each)
There will be one prize awarded in categories [a], [b] and [c] and two prizes in category [d].
Rules and Conditions of Entry
Published [or, in the case of drama, performed] works of Guyanese at home or resident abroad are eligible for submission.
Works must fall in any of the four named categories and in the cases of fiction and Poetry, must have been published for the first time between September 1, 2010-December 31, 2012.
- In the case of categories [a], [b], and [d], only works submitted by publishers will be accepted. However, for authors resident in Guyana only, unpublished manuscripts may be submitted by the author, provided that such scripts have been clearly typed on one side of paper.
- Publishers will submit works published between September 1, 2010 and December 31, 2012.
- In the case of drama, works that have either been written first published or first publicly performed between September 1, 2010 and December 31, 2012, may be submitted by either publisher or author. A type script of a play may be accepted provided that such a script has been clearly typed on one side of the paper.
- Publishers, [or authors in the case of drama or manuscripts], are requested to submit six  copies gratis of each title submitted.
- No selected poems or collected poems or stories, the bulk of which has been previously published in book form outside the prescribed time will be accepted.
- CLARIFICATION ON DRAMA: While unpublished or unperformed plays are eligible, no play which was published or performed before Sept. 1, 2010 will be accepted. Radio plays (full length) and film scripts may be entered in this category.
- CLARIFICATION ON MANUSCRIPTS: Revised unpublished manuscripts and manuscripts previously submitted and are now published will be accepted.
The deadline for the receipt of entries will be February 28, 2013.
Works received after this date will be accepted only if the postmark or any other evidence indicates that the entry was mailed on or before the deadline date.
Works shall be in English but widely interpreted to include varieties of English and English based creoles.
Winners shall be selected by a panel of five  judges of whom one will be the chairman.
The five judges will comprise persons from within Guyana and abroad well known for their work in these fields. The Management Committee may ask the commonwealth Institute or the British Council to nominate one of the judges.
If it ever happens that all five judges are unable to read all entries, each entry will be read by at least three judges.
A short list of finalists will be announced not later than one month before the Award Ceremony.
The decision of the judges will be final and no correspondence on the results will be entertained.
Winners will be notified at an appropriate time and will be expected, as a condition of entry, to attend the Prize Award Ceremony on a date to be announced. Return airfares and other expenses will be provided where necessary.
All entries must be accompanied by a separate typed sheet with the following information for each competitor:
- Entrant’s full name, date and place of birth, citizenship [by birth marriage, naturalization] or residence qualifications;
- Current address, telephone number, fax number, e-mail (if any);
- Title (s) of work (s) submitted;
- Date and place of publication in the case of Fiction and Poetry entries.
- In the case of the Poetry and Fiction entries, state whether or not the work is a first published book in the relevant category.
- A brief biographical sketch and career resume of the author together with a recent photograph.
Entries for this competition must be addressed to:
The Guyana Prize Management Committee
School of Education and Humanities
University of Guyana
Guyana, South America
The awards ceremony will be held in Georgetown on a date to be announced.
Notes and Other Regulations
- Persons eligible to enter must be Guyanese citizens or Guyanese residents of at least ten (10) continuous years. A Guyanese is defined as a person who was born in Guyana, or who holds, or has acquired Guyanese citizenship.
- A publisher is defined as one who produces copies of books etc. and distributes them to book sellers or to the public. Private publishers including authors who have published their own work, are included in this definition.