The Institute of Distance and Continuing Education is conscious of the national goal of providing equality of access to education and recognizes the natural right of all Guyanese to education.
It is therefore dedicated to offering a relevant and effectively organized education service for adults and out-of-school youths.The Objectives of the Institute are:-
- to enhance the potential of the University of Guyana in creating and influencing change within the context of national aspirations;
- to provide learning opportunities which would help to develop the capacity of the adult individual to participate more effectively in the process of change;
- to increase the awareness of the interaction between formal and non-formal education and to provide facilities for a continuum of educational integration and interaction;
- to identify areas of research for which there is need and to ensure that the results of research are made available to the community at large;
- to provide training courses for trainers engaged in continuing education;
- to assist in the development and co-ordination of existing resources in continuing education.
In fulfilling its objectives, the Institute provides leadership in the field of Adult Open and Distance learning, develops and implements a variety of educational programmes. It operates within communities and in collaboration with Faculties of the University, Government, as well as non-Governmental agencies.
The Institute’s programmes allow adults to choose courses which are directly related to their needs, be they for personal development and enrichment, job advancement or higher academic pursuits.