- Explore UG
- About the University
- Schools & Institutes
- Divisions & Offices
- Resource Units
- Online Services
- For Prospective Students
- For Current Students
- For Faculty & Staff
- Distance Education Programmes
- Distance Education
Applicants must be at least sixteen (16) years of age in the calendar year of admission to the University i.e. they must have been born on or before January 1, 1995.
For Diploma / Associate Degree Programmes
- A minimum of five (5) CSEC General Proficiency subjects (Grades I, II or III) or five (5) GCE’O’ Level (Grades A – C) including English Language and Mathematics for designated programmes.
For Degree Programmes
- Five subjects of which at least two must be at the GCE Advanced level/or two Unit 2 CAPE, and the remainder at CSEC General Proficiency/GCE Ordinary Level, other than the subjects obtained at the A level or CAPE. English Language, and in designated programmes, Mathematics, must be among the subjects obtained.
- A minimum of five (5) CSEC General Proficiency subjects (Grades I, II or III) or five (5) passes at GCE ‘O’ Level (Grades A – C) , including English Language, the subject(s) required for the pursuit of the specific major, and Mathematics for designated programmes.
Additional Entry Requirements for Specific Faculties and Programmes
Agriculture & Forestry:
- Applicants to the Degree in Agriculture must possess at least one science subject in addition to Mathematics.
- Applicants must complete the Diploma in Forestry in order to be eligible for the Degree in Forestry.
- Applicants must possess at least a grade III CSEC pass or GCE ‘O’ level grade C in any two (2) science subjects, in addition to Mathematics.
- Medicine - Applicants must possess at least 3 subjects at GCE ‘A’ level with a minimum grade of C or CAPE Unit 1 & 2, with a minimum grade III, in any two of these subjects – Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics.
- Dentistry - Applicants must possess at least 3 subjects at GCE ‘A’ level with a minimum grade of C or CAPE Unit 1 & 2, with a minimum grade III, in any two of these subjects – Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics.
- Applicants to Natural Sciences programmes must possess at least a grade III pass at CSEC or a grade C pass at GCE ‘O’ level in the major subject area plus one other Science subject at CSEC grade III or GCE ‘O’ level grade C, in addition to Mathematics.
- Bachelor Degree in Law – Applicants must have passed at least 2 CAPE subjects (each must include Units 1 & 2, or 2 GCE ‘A’ level subjects in addition to English Language grade I or II (CSEC) or grade A or B (GCE ‘O’ Level).
- N.B. The Bachelor of Social Sciences (International Relations) does not require Mathematics as an entry requirement.
- Applicants must possess passes in English and Mathematics or Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics plus one other Science subject i.e. Integrated Science or Chemistry or Physics or Engineering Science.
- GTEE Diploma in Science (Physics or Chemistry) Pass with Credit OR GTEE Technician Diploma (Electrical, Mechanical, Building or Civil).
- Applicants must first complete the Diploma in Technology in order to be eligible to apply for the Engineering Degree.
- Applicants to the Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering must have obtained the Joint Aviation requirements (JAR) 66 Aircraft Maintenance Licence or equivalent qualifications.
Education & Humanities:
- Certificate in Education – applicants must possess at least a Trained Teachers’ Certificate.
- Bachelor of Education – applicants must have successfully completed the Certificate in Education.
N.B. Programmes in the School of Education & Humanities, in general, do not require Mathematics as an entry requirement.
Students who were previously admitted to the University and who attended and successfully completed at least one semester may be granted re-entry on the basis of the following:
- Their pre-university qualifications and their university credits even though the criterion under which they were admitted previously is no longer applicable.
- These persons must have been students within the preceding five (5) years.
Mature applicants (at least 26 years of age) who do not possess the minimum University admission requirements but have relevant work experience in their field of interest must register to take the University of Guyana Entrance Examination (UGEE).
Those who have successfully completed the UGEE examination within the last two (2) years are also eligible to apply as a mature student.
The next University of Guyana Entrance Examination (UGEE) is scheduled for Jan 22, 2016.
Further details may be obtained from the Admissions Division, telephone nos. 222-8647 or 222-4930 Ext: 2233 or email email@example.com