- Explore UG
- About the University
- Schools & Institutes
- Divisions & Offices
- Resource Units
- Online Services
- For Prospective Students
- For Current Students
- For Faculty & Staff
- Distance Education Programmes
- Distance Education
Your University Library offers a number of services to help you get the most out of studying and research at University of Guyana.
The circulations services offered include loans, returns, and renewals.
All registered users must present a valid University ID card, in order to borrow Library materials. Loan privileges are as follows:
- UG Undergraduate students may borrow up to eight (8) items at a time, six (6) of those being materials which can be taken out of the Library. They are allowed to borrow serials only for use in the Library. Undergraduates can borrow two (2) Reserve items at a time.
- UG Postgraduate students may borrow up to twelve (12) items at a time, ten (10) of those being materials which can be taken out of the Library. They are allowed to borrow serials only for use in the Library. Postgraduates can borrow two (2) Reserve items at a time.
- UG Academic and senior administrative staff may borrow up to twenty (20) items at a time.
- UG non-academic senior staff may borrow up to six (6) items at a time.
Books are due for return by the due date, as stamped in the book, or maybe earlier if reserved by another person, and recalled from you. Fines are charged on all overdue books.
Items from the Reserve Collection cannot be renewed but patrons can renew items from the General Collection for the loan period of the book. The conditions for renewals are:
- items can be renewed twice only
- items cannot be overdue
- items on reserve cannot be renewed
- renewals can be done either in person or via telephone no. 222-4931
All items borrowed must be returned at the Circulation Desk.
Reservation for items currently on loan can be made at the Circulation Desk. When those items are returned, the items requested are held for a maximum of seven days. An item request does not change the original due date, but it does prevent the current borrower from renewing it.
Staff provide assistance in using the library's collections, and help with any queries regarding the Library’s services, resources and facilities. This service also includes online Internet searches for students.
The University of Guyana borrows materials or obtains photocopies of materials not owned by the Library from local or overseas libraries for faculty members, researchers, and students. To request an inter-library loan or copies of articles not available in the Library patrons should contact the Main Information Desk.
Photocopies are provided on request at the Circulation Desk. The fee is $8.00 per exposure for research materials and $11.00 per exposure for other materials.
Library Instruction & Tours
The University Library conducts orientation sessions and tours for students. During these sessions we emphasize current library services offered and provide basic information on how to use the library. Orientation sessions for new students are usually conducted at the beginning of the academic year in conjunction with faculty orientation.
Special tours can be organised at the request of Faculties.
External Users Access
Non-university members are categorised as external users or visitors who may be granted access to the library resources. Such persons seeking Library access must direct their request to the Main Information Desk.
Visitors requesting borrowing privileges must pay a cautionary deposit, complete an application and submit all relevant documents (photographs, references and identification). Once approval is granted, the person is registered and issued with a Visitor’s ID card.